Tuesday 1 November 2011

Apple genius: 'Turn off your phone' for better battery life


The other day I encountered a serious problem with my iTunes account that seemed to require major surgery, so I figured I'd stop in at my local Apple Store and mosey up to the Genius Bar downstairs to see if there was a less draconian fix than the one I'd read about online.
Since I was there during Happy Hour, I figured I'd go for the two-for-one special and also ask why the battery on my new iPhone 4S was puttering out in about 12 hours (with only minimal use), well short of what I was getting with my old 3GS.
For the uninitiated, the Genius Bar is the place where you take your Apple problems. You actually need to make an appointment, and like the doctor's office, the knowledgeable Apple reps who help fix your problems don't necessarily see you right away, especially if you make an appointment at 5:50 p.m. when the place is a madhouse. At least in Manhattan anyway.
The geniuses are great. Attentive, patient, and polite, they treat you like an idiot, because, well, they're used to dealing with idiots all day. I shouldn't say idiots, of course. Luddites would be the preferred nomenclature, but since we're being conversational, let's go with idiots.
For example, the woman sitting on the stool next to me cheerfully recounted the harrowing tale of how she'd dropped her phone in the toilet. She had an awfully good attitude for someone who claimed to have been to the Apple Store six times in a week.
She said that after getting a replacement iPhone 3GS (a refurbished unit for $150), she'd been unable to sync her contacts, so now she'd brought in her 2004 Mac Mini ("It's not that old," she told me) to see if the geniuses could make things right. The only problem: she'd forgotten the power cord to her computer. Or so she thought. After one of the geniuses spent 10 minutes trying to find one in back somewhere--and miraculously produced one (I tell you, these people are saints)--she realized it had been in her bag all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment